Our Broken America
The Essential American
Five Principles for a Successful Life: From Our Family to Yours
Is life really so complicated? Ask happy and successful people this question and you’re likely to hear that, in its essence, life is really quite simple. In these pages, Newt Gingrich and his daughter Jackie Gingrich Cushman—with the help of people they know and admire, such as Bill Clinton, Rush Limbaugh, Mary Matalin, and David Petraeus—show how, by following just five principles, you can live life to its fullest:
- DREAM BIG Like Walt Disney, who shared the magic kingdom of his imagination with millions, or like Jackie’s sister, Kathy, who didn’t let a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis stop her from completing a walking marathon, see where your dreams can take you.
- WORK HARD As Jackie points out in her recollections of her dad’s early political career, working hard can be a surprising source of energy, and adopting an attitude of cheerful persistence will help you reach your goal.
- LEARN EVERY DAY The key is to remember that learning is a reciprocal process. You can’t be passive; you must be engaged. Come along on a visit to the acclaimed Ron Clark Academy in Atlanta to see how this principle works in action.
- ENJOY LIFE And what’s the best way to do that? From the wisdom of the ancient philosophers to information from the latest scientific studies, the answer is the same: Be grateful for all your blessings and do something every day to show compassion and generosity to others.
- BE TRUE TO YOURSELF It sounds easy, but it’s the hardest principle to live by. Discover what people from William Shakespeare to Henrik Ibsen to John P. Abizaid have had to say about this touchstone for an honest life.
- With these inspiring and memorable words of wisdom, Newt and Jackie have given us a book to treasure for a lifetime.
The Essential American
More than ever, Americans are realizing that if we want to keep this country great, we must be citizen patriots. And here’s the handbook every citizen patriot needs: “The Essential American,” featuring the fundamental documents of our nation’s history.
Compiled by syndicated columnist Jackie Gingrich Cushman and featuring a foreword by her father—bestselling author and former Speaker of the House—Newt Gingrich, “The Essential American” is the ultimate patriot’s resource. Featuring well-known and lesser-known documents and speeches, as well as bonus material, “The Essential American” includes:
The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, Daniel Webster’s Plymouth Oration, Abraham Lincoln’s Second Inaugural Address, Douglas MacArthur’s Duty, Honor, Country speech, Ronald Reagan’s Speech at the Brandenburg Gate
BONUS Lists: American Presidents (and their presidential parties), all 50 states (with their capitals and year of admittance to the Union), etc. A bonus DVD, with more than 1,000 additional documents and articles critical to our nation’s history. And much more!
Our Broken America
“Our Broken America: Why Both Sides Should Stop Ranting and Start Listening”
Discover what is needed to save America from the looming menace of fake news and political polarization.
We are a country in crisis. America is extremely politically polarized. It’s almost impossible to have a civil discussion about politics and political issues without emotions overflowing and people erupting, whether within your circle of friends, family, or just watching it happen on the news. Gone are the days of real, unbiased, fact-based news — now our airwaves and device screens are dominated by opinion labelled as news.
The idea of our nation marching toward civil war is very real. You can watch CNN or FOX News and think you are on two different planets. And the sheer vitriol you watch is reflective of the same feeling Democrats and Republicans — and everyone in between — are feeling throughout this country.
It’s more important than ever to find common ground. Throughout our history, our most inspirational leaders have believed that our future was bright, that our foundation was different, and that the American people would rise to the challenge. Together we can stop ranting and raving and save our country from the dangers of political polarization.
Our Broken America is a wake-up call for our nation. Together, we can change politics and save our nation.